Wouldn’t it be great if you could make a living doing something around the things that you enjoy most in life? Wouldn’t you be thrilled if you could turn your passion into a profession?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour Podcast I’m joined by Lou Mongello, a Disney author, host, publisher, historian, speaker and trusted Disney expert as we explore how Lou turned his passion into a full-time profession.
Lou gives us a look into how he took a passion for all things Disney and turned that into becoming a world-renowned author, publisher, historian, speaker and more. Lou provides any entrepreneur or “wantrepreneur” with tips on how to just go out and get started.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Lou Mongello:
Lou Mongello was among the first to experience Walt Disney World in November, 1971. Today, he makes a career as a Disney author, host, publisher, historian, speaker and trusted Disney expert and creates unique content via a variety of multimedia outlets. A former attorney and owner of an IT consulting firm in New Jersey, Lou left the practice of law and company to move with his family to Florida, pursue his passion, and follow a dream of sharing his love for Disney with others.
Beginning in 2003, Lou launched his first Disney web site, and had his first two Walt Disney World Trivia Books published. Lou started podcasting in early 2005. He has expanded his offerings to include a continuing series of Audio Guides to Walt Disney World, as well as videos, events, and live broadcasts for WDWRadio.com. In 2014, he wrote and published his“102 Ways to Save Money For and At Walt Disney World” book in print and digital formats. He founded the Dream Team Project to help grant the wishes children with serious illnesses to visit Walt Disney World through the Make-A-Wish Foundation of America, and has raised more than $250,000.00 to date.
A social media pioneer and influencer, Lou connects with his loyal audiences (he prefers “friends”) via a variety of online social networks, and also hosts monthly meet-ups in Walt Disney World and around the country. As one of the leading authorities on Disney, podcasting and new media, Lou is frequently interviewed by the media for expert perspective and analysis. He has been featured in USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, Boston.com, VentureBeat, Bloomberg Business, WPIX 11 TV New York, CBS 46 News Atlanta, AOL.com, Parenting Magazine, Readers’ Digest, Fodors, Robert Scoble and numerous others.
About WDW Radio
WDW Radio is the award-winning Disney podcast dedicated to celebrating the magic of Walt Disney World.
Hosted and produced by Lou Mongello, WDW Radio is a family-friendly show that covers Walt Disney World news, vacation planning, reviews, trivia, history, contests and features interviews with Disney Imagineers, executives, and celebrities such as Actress Dame Julie Andrews, Richard Sherman, Disney CEO Bob Iger, Iron Chef Cat Cora, Alan Menken, Don Hahn, Travel Channel Host Samantha Brown and more. The unofficial “Walt Disney World Information Station,” WDW Radio has been named Best Travel Podcast for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, and also features a blog, videos, live broadcasts, large community, and special events. The site is also home to Lou Mongello’s Walt Disney World Trivia Books, “102 Ways to Save Money For and At Walt Disney World,” and Audio Guides to Walt Disney World.
Lou also hosts the WDW NewsCast, a weekly online video broadcast and chat covering Walt Disney World news and rumors where the viewers can voice their opinions and thoughts, comment on the news in real-time, ask and answer questions, and be an interactive part of the live broadcast. The show is also available immediately after broadcast on the WDW Radio YouTube channel.
- “I’m Lou Mongello. I left the practice of law, sold my house, and moved to Florida to pursue and share my passion for all things Disney.”
- “I’ve been sharing my passion for Disney, full-time, since 2007”
- “I’m a fan first”
- “I never though about the word opportunity, it was personal challenge. Can my work be validated by someone else that is willing to put their name and money behind it?”
- “I don’t care about the number of listeners. I deliver the same content for one person, that I’ll do for 500,000 people. I focus on the people that ARE listening.”
- Three tips on turning the passion into profession:
- “Prepare, but JUST START. Hit that record button. You can procrastinate forever.”
- “Take a risk. Worry about how you will feel if you DON’T do it.”
- “Stay hungry. Never be satisfied, always be looking to see what’s new, next and different. My goals are moving targets. If you become lazy and complacent, that’s where it starts to become a job and you fail to grow.”
Lou’s Social Media Six Pack:
- Favorite Disney character? Peter Pan
- Favorite Disney movie? Mary Poppins
- The greatest Disney Villain? Judge Claude Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Name one thing Disneyland has an edge over Disney World? Cars Land and Cozy Cones!
- Best new Disney movie in the last 15 years? (Crumbling under the pressure) The Incredibles
- Can you do any Disney character impersonations? None that well.