The Six Stages of Influencer Engagement with Ian Cleary
August 28, 2015
Are you utilizing influencers as part of your digital marketing strategy? Are you curious how you would even go about finding an influencer to partner with your brand or business?
Discovering the right influencers for your brand and fostering a relationship with them is an art.
This week on the Social Media Social Hour podcast, I connect with Ian Cleary of Razor Social as we discuss the ways to identify appropriate influencers in today’s marketing landscape. You’ll learn the six stages of influencer engagement and how your brand can integrate influencer marketing into your overall digital strategy. Ian brings over 20 years of experience in technology and digital marketing to the social media space and has become a key influencer in content marketing tech globally.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Ian Cleary
Ian Cleary is the founder of RazorSocial. He worked in technology companies for many years in start up environments and started up other businesses in other areas to feed his appetite for entrepreneurship.
Back in 2005 Ian’s last technology company was acquired by a big corporate so it was time for Ian to move on. At this stage Ian decided to go to a different direction.
He started building a business around social media consulting and training and built a profitable business with his partner Colette.
But he wanted to build a global business. With a strong knowledge of social media and technology and a massive gap in the market he launched RazorSocial
Here’s some of the fun stuff that has happened:
- Listed as one of the top 100 B2B marketers mentioned on Twitter in the US Q1 2013
- Listed as one of the top 50 content marketing influencers globally in Q2 2015
- Contributing author to Digital Marketing Superstars, published by Entrepreneur.com
- Top 40 Digital Strategist in recent annual report by Online Marketing Institute in the US
- Winner of “Best Social Media Blog” annual blog award by Social Media Examiner 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Top 10 Twitter Maverick in Huffington Post recent article
- Professional speaker speaking at many international events. Social Slam, NMX, TBEX, Social Media Marketing World and Content Marketing World (Oct)
- Published in VentureBeat, Entrepreneur.com, Huffington Post, Social Media Examiner, MarketingProfs and many more.
- Recently trained 3,000 people in an online webinar on social media tools.
- Regularly mentioned on media such as New York Times
- Mentor for selr8r – Incubator for early stage startups
- 20 Years in Technology and Digital Marketing
- Key influencer in content marketing tech globally
- What is influencer marketing?
- It’s about building relationships with influential people. There are people online that have an audience that trusts them. If you want to get your message out to a large amount of people, you do so through the use of influencers. These are longer term relationships.
- If you can build the relationships, you can avoid high costs.
- Everyone is an influencer, it’s about quality over quantity.
- Steps to identifying influencers:
- Listen. Keep an eye on the conversation that’s happening.
- Learn more about them. Learn what’s happening with the conversations.
- Track. Filter down to a list of influencers and monitor the conversation.
- Engage. Have conversations through tweets, signing up to their newsletter, connecting on LinkedIn, comment on their blog, etc.
- Elevation, how can you bring it to the next level.
- Prosper. You’ve now put the ground work in, built a relationships and have rapport with a group of influencers.
Items/people mentioned in the show:
- Twtrland (now Klear)
- Little Bird
- Group High
- Social Media Day San Diego
- Brand 24
Ian’s Social Media Six Pack:
- What was your biggest jump? Paragliding off the Andes in South America.
- Craziest place you’ve done a blog post? On holiday in Spain, holed up in an apartment while my wife and kids were out and about.
- The most blog posts you’ve written in a day? Two or three.
- Do you use snapchat? I have it but don’t use it much.
- Last movie you went to? Not sure, it was a few years ago.
- Last physical music album you purchased? No one in particular, I tend to buy the greatest hits albums.