The Beginners Guide To Using Snapchat
December 23, 2015
Are all of your friends and colleagues on Snapchat, but you just don’t “get it”?
Have you tried to use the app, but still don’t understand how it works?
Do you want access to the beginners guide to using Snapchat?
With nearly 200 million monthly active users and 6 billion videos watched on the app daily, Snapchat is quickly becoming the social network powerhouse it was predicted to be. If you haven’t jumped onboard yet, we’ll get you up to speed!
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I am joined by Carlos Gil, social media marketer and digital storyteller, on the beginners guide to using Snapchat.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Carlos Gil:
Carlos Gil is an innovative, executive with extensive corporate marketing experience engaging consumers via digital, social media, mobile and e-mail channels. Currently, Carlos is the Global Head of Social Media for BMC Software. In this role, Carlos is responsible for shaping and executing social media strategy with the goals of raising brand awareness, driving website traffic, and engaging the greater Information Technology community online.
Previously, Carlos served as the Senior Social Marketing Manager for LinkedIn’s Sales Solutions business unit where he helped grow and evangelize the use of LinkedIn as a social selling and marketing tool. Carlos proven track record includes leading consumer-facing digital and social media programs in partnership with: PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, Frito-Lay, Tostitos, Mondelez, and Unilever as Social Media Manager for Winn-Dixie, where he developed strategy and led the launch of all Winn-Dixie’s social channels, social listening, and blogger influencer programs.
In addition, Carlos served as the Head of Digital Marketing for Save-A-Lot food stores, a wholly owned subsidiary of SUPERVALU INC., a Fortune 100 company and one of the largest companies in the United States grocery channel.
In 2008, Carlos founded JobsDirectUSA.com as a result of a layoff in the financial services industry. Leveraging strong entrepreneurial acumen, Carlos raised awareness for his startup through social media which resulted in helping thousands of mid to senior-level career professionals find employment during the recession.
Carlos’ efforts have been featured by CNNMoney.com and other news media in addition to being recognized by Fast Company in 2010 among the Top 50 “Most Influential People Online”.
- “I’ve seen the biggest return on engagement on Snapchat over all other platforms.”
- “Snapchat has taken my personal brand to a whole new level.”
- “Snapchat is becoming a more mature platform that is being used by a broader audience.”
- “Facebook can be fabricated; Snapchat comes off raw and real.”
- “At the core, Snapchat is a real time story-telling social network.”
- You can add people on Snapchat in two ways, through username or address book.”
- “Views, messages, and chats count as engagements on a snap.”
- “Citizen journalism has existed for decades, but Snapchat has taken it to a whole other level.”
- “Snapchat only allows you to record 10 second videos at a time.”
- “With Snapchat, you can create content throughout the course of the day.”
- “Snapchat is a vehicle to create more content to be repurposed.”
- Snapchat Stats:
- Snapchat is being used by more than 16% of 13-34 year olds in the U.S.
- Video on Snapchat is viewed 6 billion times per day.
- Snapchat has nearly 200 million monthly users.
Items/people mentioned in the show:
- Personal Branding through Social Media with Carlos Gil
- Tyler’s Snapchat –> tjasnaps
- Carlos’ Snapchat –> thecarlosgil
- Twitter –> @
Check out Carlos’s SlideShare on how to use Snapchat: