Do you know what the steps to write a book are?
Have you ever considered writing a book about something you have a great deal of knowledge about or are passionate about?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour serial entrepreneur Trent Dyrsmid, joins me and we talk all about the steps to write a book, marketing automation and more.
About this show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Over
- Trent has interviewed over ninety entrepreneurs and he blogs about content marketing & marketing automation with BrightIdeas.
- With the interviews, blogs, and BrightIdeas, Trent builds a list for potential customers.
- Trent is currently marketing his book, The Digital Marketing Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Putting Client Attraction on Autopilot, which will be available December 10th.
- He explains ConvertKit as a product that helps people to build a profitable audience in a short period of time.
- With respect to his podcast, everyone he interviews is someone he thinks he can learn something from.
- Podcasting has been a great tool for increasing engagement with his audience and adding value to them, as as well as building up his own personal network.
- Trent describes marketing automation as what happens behind the computer screen.
- Marketing automation allows you to give personal attention to a whole bunch of people all at once with no labor.
- Using marketing automation software combined with good content, to try and get more information about your subscribers, gives you the ability to produce content & offers that are more relevant to each individual which will make conversions go up.
- Trent talks about “tagging” users in his marketing automation software to track their behavior.
- He explains that with insights from his videos about which users watched for a certain amount of time, his software automatically treats them differently.
- Trent hopes to give consumers as much free and relevant information as possible through podcasts, videos, blogs, etc. to make them as ready as possible to make a purchase decision.
- The goal is getting customized information on autopilot to give consumers the best chance at completing a good purchase.
- Trent likes to call this behavioral based marketing, meaning that the behavior the consumers take when going through the “funnel” of the site gives data the company will use to make decisions on what pieces of content & offers they will receive.
- In terms of software, Trent says that with programs such as Infusionsoft, you have to take the time to learn it to save time later on.
- He says Infusionsoft is a content delivery system with a visual campaign build that makes the process very intuitive.
- The complicated part of Infusionsoft is figuring out the logic of what you want to happen.
- Trent talks about how writing a book has become a new form of instant credibility, as people assume you are an expert if you have written a book.
- To write his book he used Dragon Dictation to speak instead of type.
- He used Scrivener to organize, format, and edit.
- Createspace, owned by Amazon, is a tool that can produce a book for you.
- Trent says that when you break it down, it’s really not even a book but a bunch of blog posts.
- Trent talks about being published by a traditional publisher as having the potential to be more credible, but self-publishing can definitely bring in more revenue.
- He started the book by just jotting down topic headings of everything he wanted to talk about and dividing it into chapters.
- He explains that he continued to break it down into more steps and wrote the book like he was talking to a friend and explaining it.
- He started with bullets points of the things he knew he had to cover and then started talking.
- Trent says they did hire a professional editor which he would recommend.
- He found his editor through his wife but he also posted on Facebook for recommendations.
- He advises to pick an author you like and find their editor.
- After the editor, Trent says you need to do formatting with images. From there you can export from Scrivener to Kindle or an ebook.
- Trent also notes that cover art is extremely important.
- Trent knew the promotion piece was going to be essential, so as he was writing, he thought about who he should mention in the book that he has interviewed with a great story that might help him promote it.
- He also mentioned a few companies and reached out to them for bulk purchases.
- His promoters are people he has a relationship with already who he has helped to promote.
- His other group of promoters comes from a list of bloggers whose followers would be people with a high propensity to buy his book.
- Trent explained how they build a list of bloggers. They first follow them on twitter, reach out and comment on two of their posts & retweet them twice, and then send them a personal email to find their interest in helping.
- Their virtual assistant has helped to increase traffic by completing tasks such as posting new podcasts and blogs to multiple outlets.
Trent Dyrsmid’s Social Media Six Pack:
- How many hours a week do you spend on creating content? Eight
- How many hours a week do you spend on marketing your content? Almost all the rest!
- Of all the social networks, which one do you spend the most time on? Twitter
- What is your favorite smartphone app? Tweetbot
- What camera and microphone are you using to create videos? Canon T3I and a basic lapel mic
- What is the last podcast that you listened to? Chris Ducker, I Love Marketing, Shark Tank
Items mentioned in the episode:
- The Digital Marketing Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Putting Client Attraction on Autopilot
- Groove Digital Marketing
- Dragon Dictation
- Virtual Staff Finder