State of Social Media 2014 with Michael Stelzner
February 28, 2014
Are you trying to stay up to date on the state of social media this year?
Do you want to catch up on what has been going on with the major social networks in 2014?
This week on The Social Media Social Hour, Mike Stelzner of the Social Media Examiner joins me to talk about the state of social media in 2014 and where he things social is heading for the rest of the year. Mike also talks about what to expect at Social Media Marketing World 2014, the world’s largest social media marketing conference.
I also share a tool with you that will help you utilize the pomodoro technique to enhance your focus, concentration, and productivity.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management, and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Focus Booster
- Mike gives a preview into what Social Media Marketing World attendees can look forward to.
- Mike says that our social marketing world is one that is in constant flux.
- He talks about how Facebook ads have changed over the years.
- Facebook is making it more necessary for businesses with pages to use advertising and get their message in front of an audience.
- Buying fans is definitely not recommended in the industry.
- Finding out what the proper Facebook dimensions are and making special images just for the content will radically increase the likelihood of getting organic reach for content.
- Facebook does give preferential treatment to content that is organically shared.
- Mike talks about the ability to pull in different graphics when sharing link posts.
- Mike says that Paper, the new Facebook app, is their play at becoming a news aggregation source.
- Facebook is trying to be the source that you go to every day on your phone to get all desired information.
- Twitter is putting a larger emphasis on imagery and videos.
- Twitter has updated their user interface to be more on the sleek side.
- As Twitter is now public, they need to keep rolling out new features and getting in the news.
- Mike talks about how automation may or may not be hurting Twitter.
- He says that it really depends on how many people you follow.
- Mike uses Tweetbot to clean up his stream.
- From a marketer’s perspective, it is essential to be able to program tweets.
- Mike thinks of Twitter as more of a buzz network than a platform to sell.
- Mike believes Instagram to be the platform that the younger generations are heading to as their parents are not on it.
- He asserts that there is a huge loyal community on Google+
- The people on Google+ tend to be a little more techie and invested in discussion and dialogue.
- Google+ is very community oriented.
- Google+ is the only major platform that allows you to have a true user experience without any advertising.
- Mike has been focusing more on the podcast and the blog because you have full control over how it gets distributed because you own the RSS feed.
- Mike emphasizes producing quality in blogs and says it is never too late to get started.
- In regards to podcasts, Mike says that it is a much less crowded space than that of the blog space.
- The user adoption rate of podcasting is growing exponentially.
- People want to listen to what they want to listen to on demand, which plays right into the podcast world.
Mike Stelzner’s Social Media Six Pack:
- What is one word you say a lot and you are very mindful you say it? Heck
- What do you use more often, a dictionary or a thesaurus? Thesaurus
- What is your favorite breakfast food? Yogurt
- What is your favorite thing to spend money on? My wife
- Which of the four seasons do you love the most? Spring
- Is there anything purple within ten feet of you right now? If so, what is it? Dr. Pepper can
Items mentioned in the show:
- Focus Booster
- Social Media Examiner
- Social Media Marketing World 2014
- Read Launch by Michael Stelzner
- My Kids’ Adventures
- The Social Media Marketing Podcast
- Facebook Image Dimensions by Jon Loomer