Did you know major travel destinations are using social media marketing to reach tourists and business travelers?
Are you curious which social networks these cities are using and what they are doing to create awareness for their cities?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I’m joined by Brent Bernasconi, Interactive Editor at the San Diego Tourism Authority, to discover the social media marketing tactics and strategies they are using to attract tourists and business travelers to San Diego. Brent executes the social media marketing strategy for the San Diego Tourism Authority and maintains SanDiego.org. Brent also shares with us some of the tools that they use to manage social media for the San Diego Tourism Authority.
This week I also share with you another one of my favorite tech tools that I use quite often, especially when giving online presentations: OmniDazzle.
About this show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media marketing fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech, and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use in the day-to-day operations as CEO of Casual Fridays and co-founder of Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of The Week: OmniDazzle for Mac is a great presentation tool that adds desktop visual enhancements. The visual effect that I personally like the most is Scribble
- Brent explains what the San Diego Tourism Authority is and how they use social media marketing along with traditional marketing to promote San Diego to travelers
- We go over the San Diego Tourism Authority’s social media presence and how it has exploded over the last two years and what they have done to fuel that growth
- Brent and I discuss the other cities that the San Diego Tourism Authority compares themselves to across social media
- Brent shares with us one of their super successful social media campaigns and how they pulled it off
- We’ll go over the makeup of the content calendar for the San Diego Tourism Authority, including when they are posting to various social networks and the frequency of their posting
- The social media goals for the San Diego Tourism Authority and how they measure those goals
- The type of content that the San Diego Tourism Authority shares to maximize engagement across social media
- The San Diego Tourism Authority uses Buffer to simplify their posting to Facebook, Twitter and Google+
- The San Diego Tourism Authority uses TweetDeck to monitor their Twitter activity and Facebook and Google+ natively to monitor engagement on those social networks
- How Brent leverages multiple people within the San Diego Tourism Authority to provide content for the Instagram account
- Brent shares with us the strategy he put in place to grow the SanDiego.org blog traffic by 700% over the last two years
- Brent give us his top WordPress plugins that he recommends
Brent Bernasconi’s Social Media Six Pack (six questions where I ask Brent to provide one simple answer):
- Q) Favorite Social Media Management Tool? A) Buffer app
- Q) Personal favorite social network? A) Twitter
- Q) Instagram or Vine? A) Instagram
- Q) Best San Diego Celebrity or Brand to Follow on Twitter? A) San Diego Air & Space Meseum
- Q) Favorite Social Media Blog? A) Social Media Examiner
- Q) After San Diego, Best Place to Visit? A) Cayman Islands
Items mentioned in the episode:
- San Diego Tourism Authority
- Follow San Diego Tourism Authority on Twitter
- Like the San Diego Tourism Authority on Facebook
- San Diego Tourism Authority Blog
- San Diego Tourism Authority on Google+
- Follow Brent on Twitter – @bernasconi
- Kids Free San Diego
- Social Media Examiner
- San Diego Air & Space Meseum on Facebook