Social Media Examiner: Turning A Social Media Blog Into A Thriving Business
September 26, 2013
Have you ever read Social Media Examiner for how-to articles on Social Media Marketing?
Have you ever attended Social Media Marketing World, Social Media Success Summit or listened to the Social Media Marketing Podcast with Michael Stelzner?
If so, you probably have been greatly influenced and educated in social media marketing, content marketing, blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and more.
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I get up close and personal with the founder and CEO of Social Media Examiner, Michael Stelzner to discuss how Social Media Examiner has leveraged content marketing and social media to turn the online magazine into one of the top social media marketing blogs in the world and a thriving business.
I also share with you an awesome tool to help grow an active and engaged Twitter following. I was reluctant to share this tool on the Social Media Social Hour (since I have a vested interest in it), however, after hearing Mari Smith bring it up recently on Erik Fisher’s Beyond The To-Do List Podcast, I thought it was relevant.
About this show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media marketing fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use that help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Scoreboard Social has a secret feature that helps you grow an active and engaged Twitter following and was recently featured by Mari Smith on Eric Ficher’s Beyond the To-Do List Podcast
- Michael shares his story on what inspired him to start Social Media Examiner
- Michael discusses the strategies that he used and continues to use for Social Media Examiner to differentiate themselves from other social media blogs and has has helped grow their email subscriber list to over 220,000 daily subscribers
- How Social Media Examiner has spent zero dollars on advertising, but invested heavily in growing their community
- Michael shares with us the biggest failure he has made with Social Media Examiner, how they have learned from it, and what they did as a result of that failure
- How Social Media Examiner has found great success in LinkedIn groups and the types of groups they have created
- Michael explains the business model of Social Media Examiner
- Michael goes into what inspired him to launch the Social Media Marketing Podcast, which has exploded to 23,000 listeners every week
- Michael goes into the day-to-day workflow of who manages the social media for Social Media Examiner, but you may be surprised at who is the one responding to all the tweets for Social Media Examiner and My Kids Adventures
- The content calendar and editorial workflow for Social Media Examiner and My Kids Adventures
Michael Stelzner’s Social Media Six Pack (six questions where I ask Michael to provide one simple answer):
- Q) Last Facebook Page you personally liked? A) My Kids Adventures
- Q) Approximately how many hours per day do you personally spend on social media? A) 1 hour
- Q) Excluding Social Media Examiner, what is another social media blog you read? A) Mashable
- Q) What social network could you personally do without? A) Quora
- Q) Besides Social Media Marketing World, what is one other social media/online marketing conference you would recommend as a “can’t miss”? A) Content Marketing World
- Q) Between the blog, events and podcast, which has given you the most personal joy? A) Podcast
Items mentioned in the episode:
- Social Media Examiner
- Scoreboard Social
- Beyond The To-Do List Podcast by Eric Ficher
- My Kids Adventures
- Social Media Marketing Networking Club – LinkedIn group
- Social Media Marketing World
- Social Media Marketing Podcast
- Write for Social Media Examiner
- My Kids Adventures on Facebook
- Content Marketing World
- Social Media Examiner on Twitter
- Follow Mike on Twitter