Looking to launch a Snapchat marketing strategy?
Are you curious just how a brand would leverage Snapchat for marketing?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, Alex Restrepo of the New Orleans Saints joins me and we pull back the covers in what the Saints are doing on Snapchat and how they have grown an audience of over 36,000 followers on the emerging social platform. Alex specifically goes into why the Saints decided to mix Snapchat into their social media strategy, and shares some of the tactics and strategies they are using to grow their following and engage with their passionate fan base.
I also share with you a great tool you can use to make awesome collages that include video and easily share them across social networks like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management, and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: PicPlayPost
- Alex talks about how he got his start working for the Saints.
- When Alex started they only had a Twitter account started.
- Alex was quite influential in building up the social media platforms.
- For social media posting, players or staff members will send in ideas and questions for content to post.
- Social media is a great way to engage with fans, answer questions, and respond to comments.
- It is a simple way to get messages across to fans.
- Alex tries to keep the practice of responding to fans a priority.
- Alex talks about the awareness and initial integration of Snapchat with the team.
- When the Story function of Snapchat came out, Alex decided it could be a great avenue to share with fans.
- Alex loves the real-time factor of Snapchat because fans know it is in the moment.
- It makes fans feel like they are there.
- Alex dives into what Snapchat is and how it works.
- He says it was created to be a personal messaging app.
- Alex discusses the challenge of gaining followers without a profile function within Snapchat.
- He says that they worked to explain to users which steps to take to follow the Saints in the add friends tab.
- This very much proved the power of word-of-mouth advertising, as they have 36,000 followers.
- Alex would not recommend a team of people working on Snapchat.
- He emphasizes the importance of being on the road with the team and having access to the players.
- Alex talks about using Snapchat to make the team as personal to the fans as possible.
- Snapchat from brands is one-way communication of exclusive content.
- Alex talks about utilizing contests to cultivate engagement and spread awareness of the account.
- The content curation is definitely more difficult and less frequent in the off-season.
Alex Restrepo’s Social Media Six Pack:
- Which social network do you personally spend the most time on? Twitter
- If you tweet a brand, how quickly should they respond? Ideally within 24 hours
- What smartphone are you using? iPhone 5
- What was the last app you bought for your smartphone? SloPro
- By 2015, what social network will be the top one for brands? Facebook
- Of all the social networks, which is the one you could do without? Google+
Items mentioned in the show:
- Official Site of the New Orleans Saints
- Find the Saints on Facebook
- Tweet at the Saints