Marketing to Generation Z: What Marketers Need To Know
July 27, 2016
Is your brand looking to get in touch with Generation Z?
Are you striving to tailor your marketing efforts to the most educated consumers of our time?
The buzz about millennials has come and gone, as Generation Z takes the stage. With over 80% of this generation influencing in-home purchasing decisions, this demographic is definitely one to watch.
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I am joined by Connor Blakley, on what marketers need to know when marketing to Generation Z.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Connor Blakley:
Connor Blakley is a serial entrepreneur, speaker, and youth brand/marketing strategist.
Connor helps personal brands and companies position themselves to better connect with Gen Z in order to create lifelong brand loyal consumers. Connor works alongside a North American Gen Y & Z consultancy, Intercept Group, who supports brands like Microsoft, 3M, 7-Eleven, Unilever, Toyota, L’Oreal. Together, we help brands connect with Gen Y & Z consumers.
He also is a highly sought after speaker. He has spoken at schools, conferences, and companies on various topics including entrepreneurship, youth marketing/branding, and social media!
Previously Connor ran a social media consultancy that he grew to over 50 clients in North America as well as many non-legitimate enterprises shut down by his school before he turned 13.
In his free time Connor loves traveling, reading, winning rec basketball championships, and trying to get his dog to like him.
He has been featured in BBC, INC, Forbes, Huffington Post, StartUp Grind, and many more.
Mentionable Quotes by Connor Blakley:
- “I wanted to find a way to leverage my age and solve a bigger problem.”
- “Generation Z impacts over 80% of in-home purchases.”
- “We’re the most educated consumers to ever live.”
- “Gen X is also picking up some of Gen Z’s characteristics.”
- “Gen Z doesn’t believe in all of the aspects of the American dream, but a lot of brands are preaching that, but it doesn’t really connect with them.”
- “I believe there is a difference between being digitally savvy and digitally native.”
- “We’re measuring KPIs wrong.”
- “Instead of “return on investment” I like to focus on “return on interactions”. It’s easier to sell to a friend than to a stranger.”
- “Too many brands are focused on playing the political game.”
- “I can’t tell you the last time I turned on a TV.”
- ” I would still consider advertising on radio.”
- “The platforms that are consuming most of Gen Z’s attention are Musical.ly, Snapchat, and Instagram.”
- “Be authentic/real. No one wants to a fake version of yourself.”
- “Measure the right ROI and KPIs.”
- “It’s better to be the first to jump on a platform and it fail, than not jump on at all.”
Mentionable Quotes by Tyler Anderson:
- “The testimonial is far better than the direct sell.”
- “It’s the subtle social proof that speaks volumes.”
Items/people mentioned in the show:
Connor’s Social Media Six Pack:
- Do you still go to malls? Yes
- Do you still drink soda? I do not, but my friends do
- What’s your go-to fast food place? Steak and Shake
- How old were you when you got your first device or smartphone? 12 when I got an ipad, 14 when I got a smartphone
- Is it true teenagers don’t care about getting their drivers license anymore? They care, but most are too lazy
- Is college still an obvious next step after high school? Yes