Joel Comm on how to manage your social media workflow
March 27, 2014
Are you looking for help on how to manage your social media workflow?
Do you want to know where to place your time with the various social media platforms?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, Joel Comm joins me to talk about how to manage your social media workflow. Joel is an entrepreneur, best selling author, public speaker, social media evangelist, and mobile marketing innovator.
I also share a great tool for capturing audio right from your smartphone.
About the Show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management, and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Rode Smartlav Lavalier Microphone
- Joel has been involved with internet ventures since 1995.
- He started with publishing a software review magazine for computer games and educational software from a parent’s perspective.
- Joel went to the Consumer Electronics Show in January of ’95 and saw that the future was the World Wide Web.
- He was passionate about computer games and software and saw the perfect opportunity to put his work on the Internet.
- He built his site in July of 1999.
- Joel was definitely an early adopter as he started in social with Myspace around 2006 and Twitter in 2007.
- Joel dives into how he started writing Twitter Power.
- In regards to which platform Joel enjoys the most, he thinks Facebook is great in terms of flexibility to share content and not be regulated by 140 characters.
- Joel says Facebook is far and away the most valuable, followed by Twitter.
- Joel likes LinkedIn for the ability to connect with anyone and the availability to grow your network.
- YouTube is powerful to find content and reach a global audience.
- Facebook is most successful for Joel because of the engagement rates.
- Engagement is the number one item marketers need to utilize.
- Joel talks about the importance of getting others to like, know, and trust you.
- Joel speaks to the power of Google+ and uses it but does not see a ton of interaction.
- With his social media usage, Joel likes for his lifestyle to dictate how he uses social media, not the other way around.
- He chooses the sites he wants to use and uses them as frequently or infrequently as he likes.
- By doing this he is using the social platforms how they are supposed to be used, with authenticity.
- Joel advises that if you are a marketer or entrepreneur, do not feel like you have to be everywhere.
- Look at what kind of social networks are the most appropriate for you and that you have the time for.
- Joel advises not to let people “should” on you.
- Joel talks about his mobile app creations.
Joel Comm’s Social Media Six Pack:
- If you could close one fast food chain due to disgusting food, what would you pick? Wendy’s
- What makes you really sleepy? Watching Netflix-House of Cards
- What household chore do you hate the most? Cleaning the bathroom
- What was your favorite childhood game? Kick the Can
- What was your favorite event of the Winter Olympics? Didn’t watch
- Where would you not go back to vacation? Alaska
Items mentioned in the show:
- Rode SmartLav
- Rode Smartlav Lavalier Microphone on Amazon
- Twitter Power 2.0
- Find Joel on Facebook
- Tweet at Joel
- Joel’s blog on why he does what he wants, when he wants for social