How To Use Instagram To Market Your Brand
January 23, 2014
Are you looking to utilize Instagram to market your brand or business in the coming year?
Are you looking for ways to utilize Instagram to drive traffic to your website or blog?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I’m joined by Jenn Herman, author of The Ultimate Guide To Instagram For Beginners, and we talk all about how brands and businesses can leverage Instagram to create more awareness for their brands and drive more traffic to their website. Jenn also drops some serious tips on how to grow your Instagram following, run promotions through Instagram and more. I also share with you a great tool that you can use to create some awesome collages to post to social networks like Instagram, Facebook and Google+.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Diptic
- Jenn’s biggest prediction 2014 is visual marketing.
- As the prevalence of social media has increased, it is getting harder and harder for people to digest everything.
- Jenn says that the best way to reach people is through images and videos.
- Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms are adapting to put more emphasis on images and videos.
- 2013 was a big year of growth for Instagram and they hit the milestone of 150 million active users.
- Jenn says Instagram is the only site to have reached that active user milestone as quickly as they did.
- Another prediction Jenn has for 2014 is that Instagram will break 300 million active users and catapult themselves into one of the big names for social media.
- Jenn informs that 70% of active users log on at least once per day.
- On average, users are sharing 55 million photos daily.
- 65% of the world’s top 100 brands are using Instagram.
- As a brand starting out on Instagram, Jenn says the best way to grow your audience is to tell them you are there by sharing a few of your really great Instagram photos on your other social media outlets.
- Using one good photo as a teaser on the other outlets will help people want to see what other photos you have.
- Instagram management is primarily done natively through the app.
- HootSuite can help manage your Instagram accounts.
- Jenn has heard about a few third party apps such as Padgram that can help manage multiple Instagram accounts.
- In regards to ads, Jenn does not think that they will hurt the experience for Instagram users.
- She thinks if brands keep their ad images organic, the way users expect them to be, they will be more successful.
- Jenn believes that any and every business can use Instagram.
- You want to share images of what you do and be creative.
- Instagram users cannot link in the Instagram caption, but can have an active, clickable link in the profile bio.
- Jenn advises users to go to Statigram and see insights of your fan base and find out what works for you and your audience.
- If you have more than one photo, spread them out over a few hours or days.
- Jenn recommends that people use images that are representative of their brand.
- She encourages using filters that enhance images in a way that reflects your brand.
- Share more than business with your fans to allow followers to get to know you.
- Connect with people on a more personal level with the behind-the-scenes photos.
- Jenn thinks you can do 50% professional and 50% personal on Instagram.
Jenn Herman’s Social Media Six Pack:
- After Instagram, what is your favorite social network? Google+
- On average, how many times per day do you post to Instagram? 2-3
- Do you follow any celebrities on Instagram? Kim Zolciak
- Last hashtag you searched on Instagram? #socialmedia
- If you only had time to read one social media blog what would it be? Mike Alton’s The Social Media Hat
- Favorite Instagram filter? Lo-Fi
Items mentioned in the show:
- Jenn’s Trends
- Tweet at Jenn
- Follow Jenn on Instagram
- Find Jenn on Facebook
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Instagram
- The Social Media Hat