How To Get Hashtags Trending On Twitter with Jason Keath
August 20, 2015
Is your brand using hashtags as part of your social media strategy?
Have you wondered how to get hashtags trending on Twitter?
We’re always talking about hashtags. They seem to pop up everywhere, from cereal boxes to evening news and even a famous parody by Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, we can’t run from hashtags!
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I am joined by Jason Keath, founder of the SocialFresh conference, on picking a hashtag, strategy of using it and getting it trending.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Jason Keath:
As the Founder and CEO of Social Fresh Conference, Jason curates some of the smartest voices in online marketing. Graduating from UNC Charlotte with a fine arts degree, Jason’s roots are firmly in the creative arts. Jason lives in New York City, where you can find him blogging from a local coffee shop or roaming the streets of Manhattan as a full time tourist.
Jason is a keynote speaker, presenting to thousands on digital marketing, creativity, and how to make organizations more innovative. Jason has consulted with Fortune 500 and Inc 5000 companies on social media strategy and development.
He is routinely quoted by media in the NY Times, USA Today, MSNBC, the LA Times, AdAge, the Washington Post and other outlets.
Jason is the editor of SocialFresh.com, where Social Fresh Conference shares free social marketing tips. He also cohosts of the Social Toolkit Podcast. And each week, Jason publishes the Social Fresh Tip, a social media email newsletter.
- Any business can make a hashtag trend.
- If you want a hashtag to trend, you have to be very focused, have a strategy and put some work into it.
- A hashtag is a way to build a community.
- Using a branded hashtag helps people find your content. It is an amazing search tool.
- Events are key to having a hashtag trend because of the built in audience. They become the best vehicle for trending.
- SocialFresh has trended six times at #1 in the United States.
- Audience is savvy digital marketers
- You can’t guarantee trending.
- Avoid major events when timing your hashtag push.
- For SocialFresh, the morning of the first general session, we ask people to use the hashtag.
- Hashtagging becomes a built in networking mechanism.
- Make a clear ask and make it easy for people to use your hashtag.
- The more exciting the event is, the more you can get your audience using the hashtag.
- Twitter chats and webinars are sometimes easier to get people using the hashtag because they are already in front of the computer.
- Tips on creating a great hashtag:
- Easy to use
- Shorter is better
- Avoid words with multiple spellings
- Being casual or “non-branded”
Items/people mentioned in the show:
Jason’s Social Media Six Pack:
- What is your favorite social network to use? Twitter
- One social network you don’t care for anymore? Instagram
- Are you a fan of Taylor Swift? Yes
- Favorite pizza topping? Black olives or artichokes
- Is live streaming here to stay? Yes, but scale of it is limited
- What is your go-to beer? Stella Artois. But my favorite is Victory Golden Monkey