How to Build an Online Review Strategy to Increase Revenue
December 3, 2015
Are people leaving ratings and reviews for your business online?
Are you being proactive about your online review strategy?
As websites like Yelp and Trip Advisor continue to grow in popularity, it’s important to develop an online review strategy to manage and respond to the positive AND negative feedback left by your customers. By proactively managing your online review strategy, you can turn those 1 star ratings into 5 star ratings, and use those reviews to increase your revenue!
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I am joined by Jason Baumann, founder and chief social strategist at Boxless Media, on how to build an online review strategy to increase revenue.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Jason Baumann:
Jason Baumann is the founder and chief social strategist at Boxless Media. In 2013, Jason established Boxless to help small and medium-sized businesses grow using social media. Prior to Boxless, Jason worked in fundraising, technology and communications for six years at some of the most prestigious non-profit organizations in Chicago, including the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Illinois, Starlight Children’s Foundation, and Easter Seals Metro Chicago. During this time, Jason also owned and operated the Laser Group, a web design and hosting company in Chicago. With the Laser Group, Jason helped a multitude of businesses establish online presences and e-marketing strategies.
Jason has quickly rising to the top of the field of online reviews. As the a local expert on reviews and the inventor of ReviCards, Jason understands the impact of reviews and is passionate about sharing this knowledge with businesses. In 2015, Jason developed the ReviCard system, a software package that allows businesses to leverage the power of reviews. It boosts overall ratings and increases positive reviews in addition to builds your customer email list and improving customer service.
He is also a frequent publisher on LinkedIn for topics about digital marketing and reviews.
- “Reviews work in the beginning and the end of the (buying) process.”
- “There is a 5-9% change in overall revenue, for a one star difference (in a review/rating).”
- “You can equate a 1/2 of a star to a 19% change in reservation volume.”
- “Get on Facebook, get on Google, and get on Yelp. After that, start exploring industry specific platforms.”
- “You can advertise to people who like your page on Facebook and a review site, and offer something (like a raffle) to encourage reviews, but you have to be careful. You can’t incentivize reviews.”
- “Don’t be afraid to ask for reviews.”
- “You absolutely need to reply to every single review.”
- “Once a review is online (unless it has swearing or a threat), you can’t get it taken down, unless the person who left it takes it down.”
- “Try and direct your reviews to the review platform that needs the most help.”
Items/people mentioned in the show:
Jason’s Social Media Six Pack:
- What was the last picture you took with your smartphone? Zoo Lights in Downtown Chicago
- Have you ever been pulled over by a police officer for something other than speeding? Yes, for texting while driving
- What kind of sickness have you lied about to get out of something? Stomach ache
- Would you eat a bowl of crickets for $50,000? Yes
- Where did you purchase your last computer? Dell.com
- What is one of your biggest pet peeves? When someone says “it’s because we’ve always done it this way.”