Google Plus For Business: Google Plus tips and more from Martin Shervington
June 5, 2014
Are you ready to dive into Google Plus?
Do you want to find ways to maximize Google Plus for your business?
Today on the Social Media Social Hour, Martin Shervington joins me to talk about Google Plus for business with tips and more. Martin is a leading authority on Google Plus and the founder of PlusYourBusiness.com, a top blog on Google Plus.
I also share a great tech tool with you for the iPhone for voice recording.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management, and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: iTalk Recorder
- Martin Shervington is one of the leading authorities on Google Plus.
- Martin is the founder of PlusYourBusiness.com, which is a top blog on Google Plus.
- Martin is a consultant, speaker, trainer and a coach on all things Google Plus.
- Martin has been on the Google Plus platform for about 2 years and a few months.
- He became a leading authority by analyzing how Google Plus is used to communicate and writing guides on it for the community.
- Martin began learning how to do things and then putting it in context for others to learn and understand in levels.
- Martin speaks a little about Vic Gundotra leaving Google Plus and reassures the audience that Google Plus will not lose it’s social layer aspect and will not lose the principles because it is Google, only the next generation of it.
- Google Plus is not an isolated platform.
- Google Plus is about bringing people together and about relationships.
- Businesses should utilize Google Plus because first, if they have a physical location it allows you to be a pin on the map.
- Google Plus also allows you to have reviews and allows you to build a community of people who love what you do.
- If people value search results, then building a community of people around your content can amplify that content into Google search.
- One of the main goals is to personalize your search by having a physical location and to have people engage over your content by commenting, plus oneing, and sharing.
- Google then takes this and and puts it into their search, therefore letting your content be displayed.
- To build your audience on Google Plus, Martin suggests to add in individuals and circles.
- Martin describes the differences between circles and communities on Google Plus.
- Communities can be either private or public and with public ones you can either join or ask to join and when you join you can share content into the community based on the guide lines.
- On Google Plus, you can mass follow by searching circles rather than individuals or can go to circlecount.com.
- Nod3x.com is a social network analysis tool that is used with Google Plus.
- Another app is steadydemand.com, which is a brand audit tool and brand engagement tool.
- Friends Plus Me and Buffer are other useful tools to use on your Google Plus page.
- Google doesn’t restrict any of the content you’re putting out there, but Martin says that you can go to your circles and choose whether or not you see all of the content in your newsfeed by clicking : more, standard, or fewer.
- You can see your follow count on your profile as well as view count, which is how many views an image has had and the reach that it has had.
- Ripples, is an analysis tool with in the platform that shows public shared posts and shows you the spread of that particle post.
- Martin describes Google Hangouts as a video call and or a text/image chat.
- You are enabled to have up to 100 people in a circle to have a chat with and up to 10 devices to have a video chat with.
- At the same time, you can bring in apps into the chat such as Youtube or Doodles.
- Martin says Hangouts will soon be the killer app for how people communicate together on the Google platform because it takes all of Google’s communication tools into one.
- Hangouts on Air, is a Google hangout that is streamed to a Youtube channel that allows everyone with a Google Plus account to have their own broadcast station.
- Martin says that Google has given people the opportunity to become great content creators and hopefully find people who can relate to their content.
- Google Plus gives you a lot of tools to repurpose your content.
- Martin’s tip is to get a transcript done and to put it on your blog with your videos.
- Martin’s business, Plus Your Business, is a closed door community on Google Plus.
- They give you resources to learn all of the basics and has an academy with five levels to learn and be competent at each of the levels and to over all understand Google Plus.
Martin Shervington Social Media Six pack:
- If you were famous, would you rather have a statue or building named after you? Martin would choose a building.
- When you were a kid, did you find dinosaurs or dragons to be cooler? Martin thought dragons were cooler because he is Welch and they have a dragon on their flag.
- Have you ever ridden on a tractor? Martin’s dad was a farmer so yes.
- On average, how many times do you hit the snooze button on the alarm in the morning? Martin does not have a snooze button and doesn’t even use an alarm.
- Do you prefer long or short hair? Martin says short.
- Do you collect anything? And if so what is it? Martin does not collect anything, expect maybe jokes.
Items Mentioned in the Show: