Chris Brogan on launching a new magazine and entrepreneurship for weirdos
March 21, 2014
Do you want to learn more about how to grow your business?
Are you curious about how to take on your own adventure as an entrepreneur?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, Chris Brogan joins me to talk about entrepreneurship and the launch of his new magazine, Owner Magazine. Chris is the publisher and CEO of Owner Magazine, a business magazine helping you improve your worth by growing your capabilities and connections. He is a New York Times Best Selling author of six books and counting.
I also share a tool that is great at managing multiple Instagram accounts.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management, and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Fotogramme
- Chris talks about the launch of his magazine, OWNER.
- He wanted to create a how-to business magazine to help grow businesses through maximizing capabilities and connections.
- His magazine is the opposite of talking about why Facebook is cool and more about how you can use Facebook to make money if that is how you want to put your services out there.
- Chris does not worry about looking for validation in starting his projects.
- Instead he says that asking the right question gets you the right win.
- In starting the magazine, the hardest part was getting consistent contributors.
- In getting contributors, Chris offered his channel as a promotional source for their work.
- In the day-to-day at the magazine, Chris is the Editor-in-Chief who sets the stage for the articles every month.
- For every piece, he sets a title to be written to.
- For their first two magazine articles, he allows every author to write whatever they want.
- What he then does is guide them to what he needs for the magazine.
- Chris talks about how blog writing is different than magazine writing.
- He sees magazine writing as more engaging and succinct.
- He thinks that writers often leave out the endings in pieces.
- OWNER Magazine publishes monthly, with occasional extra articles.
- Chris discusses his new book “The Freaks Shall Inherit the Earth” which is about entrepreneurship for people who feel like they didn’t fit in and are choosing their own adventures.
- Chris talks about life before blogging working in telecom.
- He talks about wanting to shake off the stigma of his social media success.
- Chris sees Google+ as a worthwhile tool that needs proper investment from users.
Chris Brogan’s Social Media Six Pack:
- What shoe size are you? 12
- If you were a super hero, what super power would you have? Flight
- What meal are you pretty awesome at making? Leftovers
- Can you do a handstand? No
- Do you believe in ghosts? Yes
- Back in high school, what was your least favorite school subject? Math