Are you looking to get more results from your current social media strategy?
Do you happen to be a huge fan of the Boston Celtics or the NBA?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour Peter Stringer of the Boston Celtics joins me to talk about how to have a winning social media strategy. Peter is the Senior Director of digital media for the Boston Celtics.
I also share an awesome tech tool with you that allows you to engage with Instagram from your desktop browser.
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management, and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of the Week: Instagram for Chrome
- Peter is responsible for crafting the strategies for digital, social, mobile, and video content platforms.
- He has launched the Celtics digital and social media channels building an audience with over 7 million likes on Facebook and over a million followers on Twitter.
- Peter has a new podcast called the Media Masters Podcast.
- Peter grew up in New Hampshire and has always idolized the Boston Celtics.
- He went to Boston University and majored in journalism.
- During his junior year of college, Peter took an internship at New England’s Sport Network and helped them run their sports content website as a web producer.
- Peter convinced the company into getting credentials and actually covering the games instead of publishing info from local newspapers.
- Peter began covering the Celtics games as a media member and quickly realized that the digital and website side was a short cut to pursuing his dream job.
- Took a full time job with NESN for a couple years.
- In 2005 a job opened up to run Celtics.com and Peter turned this website into a content site rather than just a ticket link.
- Over the years as all of the social media platforms emerged, Peter began incorporating these into what he did for the Celtics.
- When Peter started in 2005, he was a one man band but has now grown into a team of five.
- Peter was fortunate enough to get to follow the team around and travel with them during play off seasons.
- When the role of social media began popping up, Peter first jumped onto Facebook.
- Peter took the responsibility into his hands and launched their own official Celtics page.
- Peter says it has been a process of seeing the opportunity and taking it over.
- Peter wanted to give fans a destination and a reason to come back to Celtics.com and get them exposed to the marketing messages.
- His strategy before social media became popular was to add as much content and create more awareness so people would buy tickets.
- The social media strategy with Peter Stringer has evolved into getting fans out of those social media platforms and into your data base.
- They have gotten much more developed with the mobile strategy.
- Peter talks about dealing with social when the team is not doing the best.
- He works on spending more time with showing the fans who the players are off the court to continue to build attachment and a fan base around the team.
- They have spent a lot of time generating content around community involvement.
- Peter says that people remember stories more than they remember stats.
- Representing teams, they have people to represent as their brand and product, making it easy to relate to other humans.
- Peter measures success in social media through his partnerships and revenue generation.
- They use native Facebook and Twitter natively for their postings without any third party tools.
Peter Stringer’s Social Media Six pack:
- What is your lucky number? 44
- If you could only take one form of public transportation, what would it be? Las Vegas Monorail
- How many pillows do you sleep with? 2
- Are you scared of spiders? No
- Do you sing in the shower? No
- Can you blow bubbles with bubble gum? Yes, he believes so.
Items Mentioned in the Show:
- Instagram for Chrome
- The Media Masters Podcast
- Official Site of the Boston Celtics
- Boston Celtics on Facebook
- Boston Celtics on Twitter
- Boston Celtics on Instagram
- Boston Celtics Mobile App
- Boston Celtics YouTube