5 Step Plan For Outstanding Customer Service
May 26, 2016
Are you looking to provide your customers with outstanding customer service?
Are you seeking ways to integrate social media into your customer service plan?
Throughout the years, customer service has been a crucial component of doing good business. Now more than ever, brands are being put onstage by their customers via social media, and are faced with having to resolve customer service issues in the limelight.
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I am joined by Shep Hyken, with a 5 step plan for outstanding customer service.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
About Shep Hyken:
Shep Hyken, CSP, CPAE is a customer service expert, professional speaker and bestselling author who works with companies and organizations who want to build loyal relationships with their customers and employees.
His articles have been read in hundreds of publications, and he is the author of Moments of Magic, The Loyal Customer and the Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestsellers, The Cult of the Customer and The Amazement Revolution, which was also recognized as a New York Times bestseller, and, his latest book, Amaze Every Customer Every Time. He is also the creator of The Customer Focus program which helps clients develop a customer service culture and loyalty mindset.
Shep Hyken’s most requested programs focus on customer service, customer loyalty, internal service, customer relations and a motivational program titled “You Are The Magic!” He is known for his high energy presentations, which combine important information with entertainment (humor and magic) to create exciting programs for his audiences.
Mentionable Quotes by Shep Hyken:
- “Outstanding customer service is frictionless. Make it easy.”
- “Create confidence in your customers, so that they want to come back and do business with you again.”
- “Loyalty is always based on the experience that the customer has.”
- “People’s expectations are changing about what they want from companies.”
- “Expectations are higher than ever.”
- “The customer is starting to drive the experience because they are beginning to tell people what they want.”
- “Social media is a catalyst, giving that customer a microphone.”
- “The best thing about social media is that we can get our customers to evangelize on our behalf.”
- “While the customer may or may not accept your help (on social media), other people will see you took the steps to address the person who is unhappy.”
- “I think most brands are scared to embrace social media because it puts them under a microscope, but the smart ones are embracing it.”
- “Customer service is the new marketing.”
- “The best marketing is getting people to go out and talk about you.”
- “Use the 5 step plan for outstanding customer service with b2b, b2c, any channel- it doesn’t matter.”
- “The customer is not always right, however, they are always the customer, so you have to find a way of letting them be wrong with dignity and respect.”
- “If it gets to a point where there is anger on social media, something has driven them to get to that point. Social media is not typically their first line of fire.”
- “Everybody wants a 5-star rating on a scale of 1-5, but a rating of 4.2% did better than a perfect 5-star rating.”
- “Customer service is not a department, it is a philosophy. It’s the culture.”
5 Step Plan for Outstanding Customer Service:
- Acknowledge the problem
- Apologize for the problem
- Fix or discuss the resolution
- Be accountable for the problem and offer a good attitude
- Resolve the problem with urgency
Items/people mentioned in the show:
Shep’s Social Media Six Pack:
- Best Hollywood hockey movie of all time? Slap Shot
- What has a greater following, high school hockey in Minnesota or high school football in Texas? Hockey in Minnesota
- Is hockey the most difficult sport to learn? Yes
- Favorite NHL team? St. Louis Blues
- Best hockey player of all time? Any #7 player for the St. Louis Blues
- Which position do you play? Left wing