4 Takeaways For Marketers From The Chewbacca Mom’s Viral Video
June 2, 2016
Last week, the internet became captivated with Candace Payne’s positive outlook and infectious laugh while sporting a Chewbacca mask, during a Facebook Live video. After accumulating over 150 million views in just two days, it’s clear that her live stream was a mega hit.
What can social media marketers learn from the latest viral video sensation? We’ve got you covered.
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I am joined by Bree Kelley, community manager at Casual Fridays, on 4 takeaways for marketers from the Chewbacca Mom’s viral video.
Let’s do this!
About the show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, accounts management, and productivity. The Social Media Social Hour is presented by Scoreboard Social.
In this episode, here is what you’ll discover:
4 Takeaways for Marketers From the Chewbacca Mom’s Viral Video:
- Facebook is officially a dominate player in video
- Brands need to be paying attention
- Everyone is an influencer
- You can’t plan a viral video
Mentionable Quotes by Tyler Anderson:
- “This is the first time we’re talking about something going viral on Facebook, not YouTube.”
- “Facebook is now officially a dominate player in video.”
- “99.99% of the viewers did not watch this video live.”
- “Candace’s video hit over 150 million views in two days.”
- “You don’t want bad lighting, but you don’t need perfect lighting. You don’t want bad audio, but you don’t need perfect audio. You can just go live on Facebook.”
- “Kohl’s got off with great value.”
- “We see so many brands who put so much effort to get in touch with influencers, and it doesn’t always work. By just paying attention, they (Kohl’s) were able to capitalize on this opportunity for their brand.”
- “I do still believe in influencer marketing, but you have to do it right.”
- I can’t think of a brand who has intentionally created a viral video.”
Mentionable Quotes by Bree Kelley:
- “87% of views from Facebook live videos are coming from the replays.”
- “All of the good stuff that is going to come from this content doesn’t have to be live, it’s going to be from the replays after the fact.”
- “I don’t think you could even pay someone to get you this kind of reach.”
- “Social media has leveled the playing field.”
- “Social media has put everyone onstage and given everyone a microphone. If you’re paying attention, you can find the Candace of your brand.”
Items/people mentioned in the show:
- Tickets are NOW available –> Social Media Day San Diego 2016
- Chewbacca Mom Viral Video (Facebook Live)
- Damn Daniel Viral Video (Snapchat)
- Dollar Shave Club Viral Video (YouTube)
- Snapchat –> tjasnaps
- Twitter –> @
- Website –> http://tylerjanderson.com/
- Snapchat –> breely216
- Twitter –> @
- Website –> http://www.breekelley.com/