Are you a hotel or resort looking to maximize your social media impact in 2019?
Are you seeking out the key social media trends this year for your hotel?
Perhaps you want to learn more about which platforms to spend your time and resources on, identify your biggest social media opportunities this year, or learn more about influencer marketing. It’s no secret that, from Instagram to email marketing, today’s guest knows his stuff when it comes to top social media trends for hotels in 2019.
Today, on the podcast, I’m joined by Frederic Gonzalo, a speaker, trainer, and consultant specializing in digital marketing best practices for travel brands with over 20 years of experience in the tourism and hospitality industry. Frederic and I discuss how hotels and resorts can get in front of consumers, publish relevant content for their audience, distinguish themselves amongst their competitors and much more.
About the show:
The Casual Fridays Podcast is a show for marketers and businesses looking to get on the social media fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and leading experts to talk about digital marketing, social media marketing, influencer marketing, and more. The Casual Fridays Podcast is sponsored by Tack – a tool that helps brands and businesses find and acquire digital rights to user-generated content (UGC).
About Frederic Gonzalo:
- Speaker, trainer and consultant in digital marketing best practices for travel brands
- Over 20 years of experience in the tourism and hospitality industry
Key Quotes from Frederic about 2019 Social Media Trends for Hotels and Travel:
- “Instagram is great, but it remains a tool where the biggest benefit is from a storytelling standpoint.”
- “Effective newsletters being sent out with a segmented approach is by far the best marketing tool any brand can have.”
- “It’s always about relevance – are you being pertinent in your content?”
- “Out of the platforms out there, Instagram is probably the one in 2019 that will be stealing the show.”
- “The most important thing is to have a strategy in place before you start accepting or refusing [influencer] requests that are made.”
- [In regards to influencer marketing] “The numbers game is often what we work and die with, but it’s a mistake… Sometimes smaller audiences, more niche, are the folks that will actually take action.”
- “The biggest mistake I see is for hotels not to have identified two to three maximum goals for next year. According to those goals, what are the actions in place to reach them?”
Key Takeaways about 2019 Social Media Trends for Hotels:
- 2:22 – Tyler welcomes Frederic Gonzalo, expert in the tourism and travel industry, to the show
- 3:52 – Frederic talks about how he got into this industry
- 5:45 – Frederic talks about his transition from working in resorts to the digital marketing side of hospitality
- 8:02 – Tyler talks about Casual Fridays’ first clients in the hospitality industry and how they got started
- 8:58 – Tyler asks Frederic about the evolution of social media marketing
- 11:00 – Frederic talks about how hotels/resorts should be getting in front of consumers
- 12:57 –Tyler talks about the evolution of content over time and asks the question “Is content even enough?”
- 13:17 – Frederic answers the question “Is content even enough?”
- 14:30 – Frederic throws out some content ideas that hotels and resorts can utilize on their social platforms
- 16:14 – Frederic mentions the ideas of influencer marketing, Facebook ads, newsletters and Instagram Stories for hotels/resorts to engage with their audience
- 17:13 – Tyler asks about the number one failure among hotels when it comes to social media
- 19:23 – Tyler asks about the biggest social media opportunities for hotels to distinguish themselves amongst their competition in 2019
- 22:26 – Tyler reiterates the importance of Instagram and ad support for hotels and resorts
- 23:15 – Tyler and Frederic discuss Mark Zuckerberg’s recent post about Facebook’s updates
- 27: 15 – Tyler and Frederic continue the conversation on the importance of Instagram for storytelling
- 28:00 – Frederic discusses one of the key caveats of Instagram
- 29:14 – Tyler asks “Do you think there’s a better platform than Instagram for driving traffic?”
- 29:16 – Frederic discusses email marketing
- 32:36 – Tyler and Frederic discuss messenger marketing/chat bots
- 38:52 – Tyler asks Frederic on his opinion of Twitter
- 41:30 – Frederic discusses YouTube for hotels
- 43:08 – Tyler asks “What words of wisdom do you have for hotels on leveraging influencer marketing in 2019?”
- 46:19 – Tyler asks “If hotels have limited resources or budget, what advice do you have for them?”
- 48:42 – Frederic discusses voice assistance
- 49:58 – Tyler and Frederic wrap up the podcast
Items mentioned in the show:
- Mark Zuckerberg’s community update post
- Contact Frederic
- Contact Tyler
Enjoy the podcast?
- Please take 10 seconds of your time and give the show a rating or write a review on iTunes.
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Google Play
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Stitcher